The Schuylkill Dragons are currently accepting applications for a part-time Coaching position. Please find information about our team, the job description, and application instructions below. Please reach out with any questions!
About the Schuylkill Dragons
The Schuylkill Dragons, a board run, 501(c)3, founded in 2001, is the oldest continuously active women’s dragon boating team in Philadelphia. We practice on the west side of the river on Martin Luther King Dr. The team includes paddlers of all levels ranging from beginners to those experienced in international competitions. This team of women, ranging in age from their 20s to their 70s, provides challenging, well-organized, coached workouts. Some members focus on local, regional, national, or international competitions while others are involved to keep fit.
We are a team whose members are committed to supporting each other in building healthy bodies and spirits, promoting team spirit and a willingness to work together, learning to compete at their best, and introducing this fun sport to others. The team employs coaches who work with all levels of paddlers, teaching the basic skills to beginners and refining the skills of experienced paddlers. They prepare the team to be competitive at local, national, and international events and we have successfully medaled at most races.
This position’s pay will be based on experience and relevant qualifications.
- Paddling experience
- Previous coaching experience is an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated group leadership experience
- Willingness to obtain Dragon Boat Coaching Certification
- Willingness to become CPR and First Aid trained
- Support the team’s off-season fitness needs and goals
- Ability and willingness to give individual coaching feedback to paddlers during practices
- Dedicated to improving the skills of all members of the team
- Flexible coaching style to fit different skill and age levels
- Able and willing to welcome feedback from the team and/or the board
- Work to build upon and foster team culture on and off the water, embracing a growth mindset
- Provides onsite coaching for races throughout the season (Historically, 4-8 races per year)
- Coach at least 3 practices per week, schedule to be determined (Historically, two evenings, and two mornings)
- Support communication throughout the team/org, and participate in meetings with board, coaching team, and all members.
- Work collaboratively with the coaching team to create and implement practice plans.
- Committed to meeting current team needs and assisting in planning/strategy for retention and future team growth
Changes to the above may be based on team’s evolving needs.
How to Apply
- A Cover Letter and Resume
- Send questions and application materials to SchuylkillDragonsCoachSearch@gmail.com by February 15, 2021
We look forward to hearing from you!